The following information has been adapted from the SRES® website to describe to my readers what the Senior Real Estate Specialist® Designation is and why it creates value for the real estate consumer.
Seniors Real Estate Specialists® are REALTORS® qualified to address the needs of home buyers and sellers age 50+. The SRES® Council awards the SRES® Designation to those members who have successfully completed its education program. By earning the SRES® designation, I have demonstrated necessary knowledge and expertise to counsel clients age 50-plus through major financial and lifestyle transitions involved in relocating, refinancing, or selling the family home.
As we age, we demand specialists in our health needs, so why not in our housing and equity needs as well? An SRES® brings:
- A customized approach to your situation; an SRES® works with how your living situation fits into your overall plan.
- Expertise and patience without condescension.
- An awareness of options and solid, reliable referrals for specific situations to explore those options.
- A variety of choices to reduce out-of-pocket expenses, gain cash, or create or defer income streams to either stay independent or finance assistance.
As an SRES® designee, I can help you make wise decisions about selling the family home, financing, buying rental property, or managing the capital gains and tax implications of owning real estate, among many other issues. In addition to guiding clients to the right experts on tax laws, probate, estate planning, and a variety of equity conversion strategies, I can offer my clients relevant information on current trends in senior real estate transactions.
As your SRES® Designee I have:
- learned the application of federal laws for Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA).
- committed myself to focus on the transaction and avoid inappropriate involvement in family matters
- developed sensitivities to 50+ issues on priorities when counseling buyers and sellers, showing properties, and managing transactions
- established reputable services that win and sustain client and customer relationships and position myself as a trusted real estate advisor
- assembled a team of experts to help serve 50+ clients and customers
- been educated on the uses, benefits, procedures, and issues involved in reverse mortgages
- learned about the uses of pensions, 401k accounts, and IRAs in real estate transactions
- gained an understanding of how Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security impact 50+ real estate decisions
- the ability to help clients integrate disposition of real property into estate plans
- the knowledge to recognize mortgage finance and loan schemes and scams that victimize 50+ borrowers
Even with my SRES® designation, I am not qualified to give legal or tax advice and all clients are strongly urged to contact a real estate attorney or certified public accountant to obtain legal or tax advice.